If you want to download an album from a shared album on picasaweb and use the “Download to Picasa” button you normally get the following error message:
Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because the protocol (picasa) isn’t associated with any program.
1. Solution: DownThemAll
- Install the DownThemAll extension
- Restart firefox
- Go to the picasa web album
- Open the RSS-Feed (to get the RSS-Icon back eg you can use the rss-icon extension)
- Right click in the feed and select DownThemAll
Pro: You do not need picasa, download the images to a folder you want, no need to change the configuration
Cons: You need some addons, maybe it does not work on “private” albums?
2. Solution: Use Picasa with some small fixes
- Open about:config (like a n ordinary url) and change the following:
set network.protocol-handler.external.picasato true
network.protocol-handler.app.picasato /opt/google/picasa/3.0/bin/picasa (seems to have no impact)
- Open the file ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list and add
- Now click the “Download to picasa” button in the web album you want to download.
- There should be a popup which asks you what program to use for this link. If there is no popup you can change this setting under Edit -> Preferences -> Applications.
- Click Choose and select /opt/google/picasa/3.0/bin/picasa (important: not /usr/bin/picasa, which opens only the main picasa program and not the “Download Album” dialog. (weird, especially because /usr/bin/picasa is only a symlink to the /opt binary).
Pro: Download into picasa (if you want that), no additional extensions needed,
Cons: Some configuration needed, Picasa needed (and download to this picasa download folder)